Sunday, June 2, 2013

Bocadillo (Sheikh Zayed Road)

Who are they? A small cafe/restaurant on Sheikh Zayed Road (near Emirates Towers metro station), although I have to admit that I've never been there. According to a Time Out Dubai write up, it's super casual and much like a 'university common room'. http://bit.ly/19zbAXD 

If I've never been there, why am I writing about them? Because I order delivered lunch from them quite regularly, and if you live or work in the mid-range portion of Sheikh Zayed Road (I work near Safa Park for example), then I recommend you order from them too sometime. 

What do they serve? Mostly salads, soups and sandwiches. I've tried their salads and I have to be honest, they don't leave much to be desired in that there is a lot of lettuce and not much else, although their tuna pasta salad was alright-ish. Having said that, their soup and sandwich combos make a good lunch. They also make a mean baked potato with baked beans and cheese. 

I ordered the chicken and avocado sandwich with a lentil soup (Dh38) the week before last and a turkey and cheese sandwich and lentil soup combo (same price) this week. I am kind of obsessed with their lentil soup at the moment, but I warn you, not everyone will be. It's wholesome, healthy and earthy in the chunky way that hippies and organic foodies like it so if you're more in to the blended, zestier Arabic style lentil soup, this one isn't for you - although it does come with a wedge of lemon wrapped in rather dodgy cling wrap. Naturally creamy brown lentils, soft potato cubes and a green leafy vegetable with the texture of nori (even though it isn't nori), is served in a delightfully rich broth that tastes like what I imagine the soup served fireside to a prince in peasant's clothing in a magical fairytale would taste like. 

The chicken and avocado sandwich was good although there wasn't enough avocado in my opinion and they could have toasted the bread a little longer. To their credit though, the avocado was perfectly ripe. My favourite sandwich by far is the turkey and cheese as it has just the right amount of turkey and just the right amount of (decently strong) cheese to wake up the taste buds. 

Their baked potatoes are really delicious and come steaming hot and drenched in baked beans and cheese with a pot of sour cream on the side. Be warned that if you add the sour cream your lunch will be very, very rich and you might need to take a nap under your desk.  A small side salad with corn, lettuce, tomato and cucumber drizzled in a tastebud tingling lemon dressing will accompany your potato. It's the perfect comfort lunch for days when the air conditioning is turned down so low you can hardly speak through your chattering teeth.

What tip do you have when ordering? The staff are always really friendly but sometimes a little sleepy so make sure you're really clear about what you want to order. Once they've repeated your order back to you, you're good to go. You'll need to specify the type of bread (brown or white); I prefer the brown as the white tastes a little soapy. If, like me, you hate your lettuce or cucumber toasted, ask the restaurant to either remove them entirely or put them on last. Add extra pickles to the turkey sandwich! It's amazing...

Bocadillo, 04 331 3133

If anyone reading this blog has been to or ordered from Bocadillo please let me know what you thought about it in the comments section...



Chicken and avocado sandwich and lentil soup combo (Dh38)
from Bocadillo 








No comments:

Post a Comment